A wheel should last as long as there was a devastating car accident. But still, people want to know how long a wheel may last when they are buying a new one. If you belong to that group of people who are really skeptical about their wheels’ longevity, this article will satisfy your quest.
Basically, your wheel’s longevity depends on how you ride your vehicle in different circumstances. But in general, wheels can last as long as you take care of them. If there is no serious accident, then your wheels will last very long just like your vehicle.
Different Types of Wheels and How Long do They Last
Wheels come with the vehicle when we purchase it. But when your wheels get damaged or break down, you have to choose the right wheel for your vehicle. And talking of choosing wheels for your vehicle there are two types of wheels.
Steel wheels are also known as steelies, which are automobile wheels constructed out of metal also this is lower in cost than alloy wheels. These steel wheels are significantly strong because of their metal body. Steel wheels’ heavyweight body helps to prevent slipping on ice in the winter season.
- First Impression: Steel wheels are not as aesthetic-looking as alloy wheels. But various types of cover are available to improve its style. However, this has no relation to the durability of wheels.
- Durability Check: It has a heavyweight body that prevents it from cracking or curving easily. To repair any curve in this wheel it needs a strong hammer. Which proves the strength of steel wheels.
In conclusion, steel wheels are much more durable, strong, and also cheap to purchase.
Alloy wheels are made out of aluminum and nickel. In today’s market, alloy wheels are the standard wheels. And most cars are assembled with this wheel, which makes them more attractive and high-performing.
- First Impression: Alloy wheels look more attractive than steel in their first impression. Though attractiveness can’t put any impact on the durability of wheels.
- Durability Check: Alloy frame is lighter than the steel frame. And because of the lighter frame, it takes less pressure on the vehicle. But this can cause wheels to crack more easily also. And because of the lighter frame of the alloy wheels, it became less durable.
However, you can customize your alloy wheel as per your preference. Which can help to improve its durability.
Lastly, the worst part of alloy wheels is that you should examine them after four to five years of use, to capture better performance from your vehicle.
Comparing both allow and stainless steel wheels, our verdict is in favour of stainless steel wheels in terms of its long-lasting durability.
How Can You Make Your Wheels Long-Lasting
Regular maintenance can help the wheel last long. And you must do some inspection of your wheels by yourself regularly. Such as
- Move Wheels To Figure Out The Problems: Different kinds of movement can tell you about the condition of your wheel. Such as if you rock the wheel or spin it side to side then you can see some problems with the wheel like loose bearing, humming noise, wheel wobble, etc. Whenever you face this kind of problem you must take it to be repaired for its long life.
- Check Spokes Of Wheels: If you ride your vehicle often you must check the spokes of your wheels at least once a year. However, time depends on what kind of vehicle you have. For example, bicycles and motorbikes can be checked once a year.
- Painting Wheels: Painting wheels can prevent them from rusting as a layer of protection to them.
- Cleaning Rims With Pads And Soap: To keep wheels you must clean them often with soap water and pads. This is the most significant step to keeping wheels long-lasting and clean.
- Check Your Rims Regularly: Finally checking rims and whole wheels regularly can help you to identify any problems. And by fixing that problem you can add some valuable years to your wheels life
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Is A Rim?
Rim is the outer edge of a wheel holding the tire. It was the old-time when many people used ‘wheel’ as ‘rim’ or ‘wagon wheel’; However, the rim is not a whole wheel but a part of the wheel. And this is located where the tire attaches to the wheel.
How To Fix a Damaged Wheel?
First, you have to go to the auto salvage yard, not to the parts store. And then, you have to change your damaged wheel with another brand-new wheel. Moreover, when your rim is bent out of shape, then it can’t be repaired anymore. As a result, you have to replace it with a new one or OME wheel.
How Often Should We Replace the Wheel?
Whenever you identify that your wheel is not working properly due to interruption while driving your vehicle, its time to change the wheel. Most manufacturers recommend getting a new wheel every 60,000-90,000 miles. Talking of wheels there are tires which are a necessary part of the wheel. Tires last at least 50,000 miles if driven reasonably as a result they last almost 10 years. If your tires are used abusively they may last only 25,000 miles, but if you drive carefully then they last 75,000 miles or more.
Do Wheels Have Expiration Date?
Officially there is no expiration date for wheels published by the manufacturer. Nevertheless, you can tell the lifespan of wheels by easy visual inspection of them.
What Are OEM Wheels?
OME refers to “Original Equipment Manufacturer” and it produces exact replicas of the wheels that came with the vehicle. These are the best replacement wheels in the market.
Why do people think about the durability of wheels? Because of its significant role in our day-to-day life. Whenever we go somewhere we use a vehicle which is worthless without wheels.
In conclusion, we can say that this significant part of a vehicle (wheel) can last forever since it is strong, heavy, and not easy to break apart.